Serving Forestville Residents Along the Russian River in Sonoma County, California

Quick Links

Reading Your Meters
Board Schedule
Board of Directors
Water Saving Tips
District Management Office
Russian River Utility
7131 Mirabel Road
Forestville, CA 95436
Phone: 707-887-7735
Toll Free: 800-244-5518
FAQs — Frequently Asked Questions

1. How do I fix a leak? How do I read my meter to see if I have a leak?

The district does not encourage customers to open their meter boxes, primarily because the concrete lids are heavy and, if dropped, will damage the water meter inside.

Instead, if you suspect a leak, please call Russian River Utility (RRU), the district’s maintenance and operations contractor  at 707-887-7735. RRU will send a technician at no charge to assess your situation and to assist in locating any leak.

2. How can I save water?

Check out the information in the Conservation & Sustainability section. You can review Indoor and Outdoor ways to save water.

3. Why is my bill suddenly so high?

You could have a leak or there could be other reasons. Call Russian River Utility (RRU), the district’s maintenance and operations contractor at 707-887-7735 to help you determine what might be going on.

4. What is this “service charge” on my water bill?

The service charge is collected to pay for the fixed costs. All water systems have fixed costs, which are not related to the quantity of water used.

The cost for the laboratory tests, employees salaries, contract agreements, insurance, and rent are examples of some fixed costs. The service charge for smaller water systems is generally higher than for large systems as fixed costs are prorated to fewer service connections.

5. My water pressure is low. What can I do to increase it?

If the service has a pressure reducing valve on the service line, it may need its settings adjusted. It is recommended that you consult with a plumber if unfamiliar with adjusting the setting.

6. How can I find out what is in my water, and how much, i.e. chlorine, fluoride, chemicals, etc.?

The district sends out a Consumer Confidence Report (CCR) once a year with a detailed report on all chemical tests. You can call or visit the office of Russian River Utility (707 / 887-7735) to find out more.

To see the most recent CCR, go to the Water Quality page. The reports are completed late summer for the year before. 

7. Is my water hard or soft?

In general, the water from the underflow of the Russian River is relatively soft, however not as soft as the East Bay MUD Sierra mountain water. If you have moved from the Bay Area you may think Sonoma County water is hard.

What is the pressure at the fire hydrant near my home?

Call the Russian River Utility office (707-887-7735) with the address and location of the hydrant in question.


Conservation Tips

  Find and repair leaks now

  Install high-efficiency toilets

  Run the dishwasher and washing machine with full loads only

  Install water- and energy-efficient appliances

  Install low-flow showerheads

  Fill the bathtub halfway or less

  Turn water off when brushing teeth or shaving

  Reduce your watering days to once or twice per week

  Plant native or water-wise species

  Inspect and tune up irrigation system monthly

  Irrigate between midnight and 6AM to reduce water loss from evaporation and wind

  Use a broom, not a hose, to clean driveway, deck or patio

  Use a bucket and a hose with self-closing nozzle to wash the car or take your car to a carwash that recycles water

  Cover pools and hot tubs to reduce evaporation

See more tips and resources in our Conservation section

Entire Contents © Russian River County Water District - All rights reserved.
District Management Office: 707-887-7735
Website Design by Janet Zagoria, ZagDesign
Photography by Patti Brunelle, Brunelle Media
Editing by Wayne Gibb
Powered by Webvanta Content Management System